Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Paying it Forward


I rarely give paintings away as gifts. Mainly because not everyone gets the thrill out of getting something handmade or original like I do. I think I'm going to give one of my paintings to an Aunt of mine though. When I was young, she always encouraged me to be creative and explore that side of me. I remember one year when I was into photography, she had me photograph all of the porcelain dolls she had made. Now, she could have done that herself, but she insisted on paying me to do it. I spent several hours putting my heart and soul into photographing those dolls in the most creative way I knew how. The photos were terrible, but you wouldn't have known that by my Aunt's reaction. She made over them as if a pro had done the work. It gave me confidence and was probably a stepping stone for me becoming an artist today. I try to encourage others, especially young people as much as possible. It's sort of a way to pay it forward from the wonderful people in my life who encouraged me.

For this or other paintings available for sale on ebay, click on the link at the above right.
First Fall Colors
5 x 7 inches, Oil on board
Available for sale on ebay after 12/9/2010

3 comments:

  1. Peinture généreuse autant que votre tante le fut pour vous...
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
  2. She always encouraged me. She's very creative as well. She took painting lessons, and of course did the gorgeous porcelain painting and dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful Aunt! I had a couple of those who thought my art so great..and a grandma who really bragged it up...I think that helped me keep going. God Bless those wonderful inspirations in our lives. May we all take a lesson from them and as you say...'pay it forward'.

    ReplyDelete