Saturday, May 28, 2011

A little problem...


Today I ran into a little situation. I'm working on a large 24 x 36 inch painting of the Grand Canyon. Now my larger works are much more detailed than these little ebay paintings I post here. To get the details right, I grid them out when I'm working from my photo references...(which I am in this case since I live in Ky). Anyway, I usually use a watercolor pencil to make the grid so that as I paint, my lines sort of disappear. Well, I guess I used a regular colored pencil and the bright pink grid lines are showing through! Yikes! I'm hoping that the successive layers will cover them up, but they seem to be bleeding thru the paint. I may have to start over. Always something right! I need the practice I guess!

This little 5 x 7 inch oil painting is called Water's Edge. It will be available for purchase on ebay after 5/29/2011. Feel free to click on the link at the above right to see the other paintings I have up for auction this week.

11 comments:

  1. Yikes about the colored pencil! But maybe you can turn it into one of those 'happy accidents'? ANd I do love this little 5 x 7. Such a beautiful painterly piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you were able to fix the pencil lines or make them into a happy accident. :) Love the movement you always achieve in your paintings. I can't wait to see the large piece you are working on. : I hope to see the Naples paintings soon also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...where you able to fix it? Hope so...be a shame to have to start over! I have a stack of "accidents" that I usually eventually use as bases for collages and the like...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's only showing thru (right now) the thinner washes. I'm hoping to add some thicker paint and cover them up. If I see it bleeding thru then, I'll have to start over. I can't believe I did that!!
    Thanks everone for the comments on the painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kimberly, thx for the comments!

    This is a great little painting here, really like the application and energy. Hey, weren't you supposed to do some paintings of the Keys? I thought I remembered you saying that at one point...I'd still love to see that.

    I'd have to see it, but sometimes those kind of "mistakes" (with the colored pencil) end up creating kind of a cool effect, maybe you are onto some great new technique! Good luck on the large piece, I just got done painting the largest that I have, 48" x 36"...really stretches you and gets you out of your element.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bummer about the pink pencil! would workable spray fix help? if not, maybe everything will just have a happy hot glow...very grand canyony!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is full of action, love it! The trees and water look rugged and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the freshness in this painting. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Ruth!!! I just love your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This painting has so much energy. I love the directions of the paint strokes and I can feel the waves movement.

    ReplyDelete