Thursday, June 2, 2011

Live and Learn....














































If you read my last post, you know about the gridlines I draw on the canvas to help me get proportions right when I paint. I used what I thought was a watercolor pencil for this drawing. Turns out it was a regular colored pencil and the pink marks are bleeding thru. I've posted the photo of my gray "block in" phase where I first noticed them (24 x 36 inch canvas/oil). I started putting some color in the sky and the pink lines weren't there at first. The next day, they bled thru much brighter. You may or may not be able to see them on the close ups I posted. So...I guess I'll be starting over with this one. All I had done was the drawing and blocking in. So, it could have been worse. Lesson learned....pay attention to what you use to draw in your paintings!!! I can't believe I used a regular colored pencil instead of the watercolor one. I hope all of you are having a better week!!!


For smaller paintings I have available for sale on ebay, click on the link at the above right.

5 comments:

  1. Now there's a lesson in getting it right! I had my last girl looking done when I realized what bothered me was I had her arm out from her body too far. I knew then I needed to move it. Someone questioned me. How could I set up to move her arm when the painting was already complete? To me it wasn't complete. The arm needed to be moved. It made a huge difference. Abandoning your work to adjust things and make them right is the sign of a climbing artist. I see you climbing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Susan! What you say is so true! I think I'll just sort of finish it as practice for now. It will also be a good demo for paying attention to the materials you're using.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well! Art is full of accidents...which is what makes it art! Keep on going!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, I was so mad! I may not seem like it, but it took me a pretty long time to get that drawn and blocked in. My own fault! You can bet I won't do that again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it happens to all of us and you would think at some point in life we would not make silly mistakes but no. It has to be a human trait and at least we learn from it . Don't we? Sometimes?

    ReplyDelete