Monday, August 8, 2011

Body of Work...




I've been spending time this year trying to get scholarships and grants to help pay for college. It's soooo expensive! I so wish I had just finished when I was younger and tuition was about 1/3 the cost it is now. Hind site is always 20/20 though. Anyway, many of the grant programs want to see a body of work from your portfolio that that shows your innovation in style and concept, technical proficiency, consistency etc. Which is all well and good, but part of why I'm continuing my education is so that I may develop all of those things further. It can be discouraging, though it hasn't stopped me from applying. My paintings are selfish. When I'm someplace that moves me, I want to stop time and hold on to that moment. Since I can't stop time, I capture it with a painting then I can re-visit it whenever I choose. I wish I had something more profound to say as to why I paint the things I do, but that is the honest truth.


This little 5 x 7 inch oil painting will be available for sale on ebay after 8/9/2011 by clicking the link at the above right.

14 comments:

  1. I think that is the perfect reason to do a particular painting. "They" always say "Paint what you love." That is why I don't do commissions....I want to paint what I want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. L'essentiel est de rester authentique...
    Gros bisous
    Vos nuages m'emportent vers des rĂªves...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you describe the perfect reason for painting something you love. By the way, this is another lovely landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Maria! And Carol and Martine, you're right of course. I need to keep it authentic and make it MY work. I need to find a really great way to say that though that doesn't sound cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful clouds!
    Janice Warriner
    oilsbyjanice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds pretty profound to me! Love, love your clouds. Your clouds make a great body of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I've been asked to comment on a piece I have done...I just answer...It is what it is! I truly believe I've said it all when I'm done...nothing more can be said. I'll let others comment/crit my work...but I know what they say is more about them then me....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful clouds! You are capturing beautiful scenes and sharing them with us, and we appreciate it! Good luck with the grants and scholarships :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing sky Kimberly!! Best of luck with your education...Follow your dreams!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do hope you get the grants and scholarships you are applying for. Wishing you the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, your skies are gorgeous, Kimberly! I think the way you have expressed what motivates you to paint is perfect - and it comes from your heart. I went back to school after having my two children, and although it was much harder than when it was just me, it was worth every minute. Keep after that dream!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful, Kimberly! Fantastic atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete