Friday, August 19, 2011

Cleaning up...




I love using oil paints, but they are such a pain to clean up. I guess I'm just griping because I've been condensing thinner and filling up old containers with cat litter for disposal today. That was after I did some TLC to some of my brushes, scraped off palettes, and gave permanent "burials" to the bowls that I use for my mediums. (Sigh) I know I shouldn't complain, but sometimes I miss acrylics. I'll be using gouache for the first time this semester in school and I'm looking forward to trying this new medium. I'm still not sure why its called "Designers" Gouache. Anyone know why "designers" is in the name? Just wondering.


This little painting is currently up for auction on ebay by clicking the link at the above right.

10 comments:

  1. You have a lot of work. I'm amazed at artist that can pump them out so easily. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So they can charge a higher price!! The pigment load might be higher...but then again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These paintings are beautiful Kim. And the horses are beautiful ;) btw Callie did set up a class for me :D they'll advertise it on their website and I'll blog and Facebook it . I'm psyched !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this painting Kim! the little pink flowers completes this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great painting and as you know I love oils, they are so forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another lovely painting! Oils are wonderful to work with but the solvents, cleanup, and the smell are too much for me. Have you tried the water-based oils? They're fantastic! All the benefits of oils w/o the fuss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! Maria, I have tried the water-based ones and I'm so crazy about the Gamblin oils it's hard for me to switch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful painting, Kimberly! I hope you'll remember us when you become famous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimberly - wonderful work, of course!
    Gouache is one of my favorite mediums...but it can be tricky. definitely worth it to invest in a Windsor Newton quality, since cheaper stuff is just too hard to work with! I think that "designer" might be in the name since it was originally used by graphic designers and illustrators who had to create very flat color. We used it in school for surface/pattern design because it was easy to scan the piece the painted piece and separate the colors for printing on fabric. Good luck in your new class!

    ReplyDelete